GENTLE ORAL SURGERY FROM THE DENTAL TEAM YOU KNOW AND TRUST IN VERNON
Aberdeen Dental is committed to helping you keep your natural teeth for a lifetime with preventative care, thorough hygiene treatments, and restorative procedures. However, there are still times when extractions are necessary. Isn’t it good to know that, if you ever need oral surgery, it is available in Vernon from the dental team you know and trust.
WHEN ARE EXTRACTIONS NECESSARY?
An extraction may be your best or only choice in these situations:
- Abscess – When tooth decay or damage allows bacteria to reach the inner pulp chamber, infection is triggered. Usually the tooth can be saved with root canal therapy. In severe cases, extraction is necessary.
- Infection – Those with a compromised immune system have increased risk of systemic impact from an infected tooth.
- Gum disease – Advanced periodontitis breaks down soft tissues, connective support, and bone, which hold teeth in place.
- Breakage – A tooth that breaks below the gum line cannot be repaired.
- Orthodontia – Some teeth may need to be removed for efficient straightening.
- Wisdom teeth – Third molars may become impacted or crowd existing teeth.
- Dentures – To prepare for a partial or full prosthetic.
IS ORAL SURGERY PAINFUL?
No. We take every precaution to ensure your comfort throughout the procedure. Your mouth is thoroughly numbed before oral surgery begins, and we offer several sedation options for anxious patients.
WHAT TYPES OF SEDATION ARE AVAILABLE?
Nitrous oxide is a safe sedative for all ages. This inhaled gas reduces anxiety, and the effect wears off quickly. Adults may choose oral sedation, a triazolam/halcion drug that provides about an hour of peak relaxation, and does not stay in the system long. Nitrous oxide and oral conscious sedation may also be used in combination.
The Aberdeen Dental team handles most oral surgery procedures in-house, for the reassurance of our patients in the Vernon area. New patients are welcome, so please (250) 545 3319 to schedule an appointment.